The above case done by Dr McDowell shows a molar with decay around an old, silver and mercury filling, making the tooth appear dark. The metal filling was removed, exposing more decay. All the infected tooth structure was removed, leaving only healthy tooth structure. The remaining tooth was too weak for a new filling, so required a dental crown which first had to be built up prior to making the crown (the white filling in the 4th picture created more of a foundation required to support a crown). The all ceramic dental crown was then cemented onto the tooth, giving it a more healthy, stable and esthetic outer shell.
- A dental crown can make a decayed or fractured tooth stronger and improve its appearance.
- It covers and supports a tooth when there isn't enough external tooth left after treatment.
- It can be used to attach a bridge.
- A crown is a good way to cover teeth that are discolored or badly shaped.
- It's also used to cover a dental implant.
San Rafael dental crowns for Marin County including Larkspur, Ross, Fairfax, San Anselmo, Greenbrae, Novato, and Kentfield CA.